Sunday, February 25, 2018

Micronesia/Guam - Reports to the Mission President October 1983

10/2/1983 - 10/8/1983
Dear President,
It's been great to have you here. Since you've now learned about everything that is going on here and have given your advice, we'll now act on it. This past week we had 2 seminary classes. We usually have only one a week, but I wanted to show them two good filmstrips about Abraham. They are captioned filmstrips and simple and easy to read. T. M Mailo helped us translate one of them. When we went to the second seminary class, we showed them the one filmstrip and I read the Trukese translation to every frame. The second one I translated off the top of my head, only missing one or two (or three or four) words. I can speak Trukese far better than I can understand it. I need somehow to drastically sharpen and build my understanding skills. Will write you again soon. Hope you had a good time on Truk. Feito ikei sefani non ekis fansoun. Am meinisin tongei en me Sister Keeler.

Tong seni, Elder Monson


10/9/1983 - 10/15/1983
Dear President,
I taught me first seminary lesson all by myself in Trukese. What I did was show another filmstrip and translated the captions in Trukese, and talked a little about the film before I showed it. The volley ball is great! The net too. On that day we made everyone quit playing and come to seminary! One time at Sapuk (I think the 2nd day after they got the net and ball) I counted 60 youth hanging around the area. They were all taking turns playing. I'm glad they have it. Thank you. I've raised my sights and goals a lot more, thanks to you. Love, Elder Monson
P.S.:  Upwe chechemeni en ese much.


10/16/1983 - 10/22/1983
Dear President,
The biggest problem I'm having is understanding what the people are saying. I guess I'll have to listen more closely and think ahead. Mote said he learned how to understand English by listening to people speak it. I better start listening more people. We've challenged [someone] for baptism and it looks like he'll some through. I feel good about it. I turned 20 years old this past week, and I still feel like 16. Time seems to go too fast. Since its easier for me to handle the reports, I'll be sending them in, along with the DL's report. (At Elder Mundinger's request.) He and Christensen are busy when they come in from Uman. That's all I have for now. Love, Elder Monson


10/23/1983 - 10/29/1983
Dear President,
Thank you very much for the birthday card! It's neat when you can listen to someone in another tongue and understand what he is saying! I was listening to one of the members the other day and it was fun 'cuz I knew what he was saying and I could talk back. I'm not perfect at it, but with more practice and study it'll come better. I can't wait to see you come and open up some new islands and bring more Elders. We have one more discussion with our baptismal candidate, and he is looking very hopeful to be baptized next week. Thank you and we'll see you soon. Love, Elder Monson


10/30/1983 - 11/5/1983
Dear President,
Thanks for coming in the other day with the new Elders and placing us. I always enjoy seeing you. Being a senior isn't all it's cracked up to be; especially when your companion can't even speak English well. I got to teach the first discussion a couple of times all by myself and I got to do it without a translator even. It was fun! Even a little exciting. Looks like I'll have to teach the discussions for a while by myself until my companion learns enough Trukese. Our one member Joss is so super. He is always looking for guys that we can teach. In fact our baptism was one of his friends. He gives us a Trukese lesson every time we go to his house. He helps us every chance he gets. We sure appreciate the bikes. Everybody wants to ride them all the time, including Joss. Kilisou me kene nom! Love, Elder Monson
P.S.: When is the organ you promised Sapuk going to come? Or do you know? Thanks.

No comments: