Sunday, August 12, 2018

Micronesia/Guam - Reports to the Mission President February 1984

1/29/1984 - 2/4/2014
Dear President,
Boy, what a busy week. Wilsons neighbors on Dublon invited us over for a big dinner on P-day. We all discussed it and we all decided (including Carlsons) it would be more of a missionary effort than a play activity, so we went. That took almost all of P-day, but we did get back in time for shopping and FHE. We also had to do quite a bit of "run around" for some of Mundinger's requests. We sent a bunch of stuff he asked for on one of the boats. Zone conference was special and awesome as usual. And the day after it was really sad to see him go. And the next day coming back through we were glad to meet him and his comrades. I hope when I go home I can take the same route!! Seminary wasn't too hot this Saturday because only one student was on the island. So I didn't give it. Was surprised to find I'm going to Uman with Elder Christensen and Puleiku. I hear it's hot on Uman! Thanks for everything. Love, Steve
P.S. We didn't baptize the person we listed for last week (Towise Stanis) because he quit coming to church.

2/5/1984 - 2/11/1984
Dear President,
It took us a while to get off to Uman this week. Fujita keeps troubles and delays, so I decided to go to Uman without waiting for it to be completely settled. Wilson said all the judge had to do was "sign the paper". I couldn't figure out why it took that long. I still don't know if he's on Dublon yet. We'll find out tomorrow. We had a real hassle getting here on Uman. Monday and Tuesday the Uman boats were rented out. But, we did get a speed boat Tuesday night and got over here. We walked around the island a couple times and taught some excellent discussions where the Spirit was strong. Elder Christensen is sure a good Elder. We also have started having companion study regularly and no English speaking among ourselves ever. It's great! Being away from running water and electricity is a little harder, but the blessings and freedoms we do have on this island are overwhelming. For instance, we have a nice house with furnishings. This is a nice place too. Never hot (only if the wind doesn't blow) and if the alarm doesn't get us up the 6 o'clock sun shining in our faces does. I like this place better than Moen. It's different out here but more native and, shall I say, "jungle like"!
Love, Steve

2/12/1984 - 2/18/1984
Dear President,
This week we got sick of our low hours and finally wrote up a strict goal, and started seeing some good contacts. I'm very happy I'm helping Christensen out, along with Puleiku. Neither one knows the language as well as I do, but I'm far from perfect. But we still have been having some real good discussions, a lot of them new. But, according to Christensen, we have more families and investigators to get ahold of and continue teaching. That's good, and I'm glad to be busy. It's fun! Talking to them in Trukese! Let me tell you an interesting story. You know I have a capped tooth on one of my front teeth, and its kind of a prestigious thing and the people remember me as "Kimba" (capped tooth). Its kind of fun! We're teaching a complete family that loves us and we sure love them! I'm looking forward to their baptisms! Well, I better run. I'll be going to Uman in a bit. Later!
Love you, Steve

2/19/1984 - 2/25/1984
Dear President,
I want to thank you a million for sending President McBride to our district conference to help us out. I think our meeting lasted a little over 4 hours. I felt the Spirit present and I was energized by the enthusiasm. It's great to see so many lives changed for the better. That's what the gospel is all about, isn't it? A big thing I learned this week  is that the people will all accept the gospel if only we can present the truth to the them in a way they can understand and accept. Because the Catholics and Protestants have a great hold on the people with their false doctrines. Also, they're depending upon them for translations of the bible, and alls they have to do is slightly alter the translation, and walla! Their religion conforms with the bible. It makes me mad they've messed up 1st Corinthians 15:22, saying all in Christ will be resurrected, instead of all will be resurrected. You just have to kind-of work at it. We had a terrific zone conference with President McBride. I sure love him. The branches always seem to have a feeling among themselves that "Uman is #1" or "Mwan is #1", or "Sapuk is #1". Everytime I turn around they ask me who is #1. I have to keep telling them they're all #1. Then they'll say everyone else is #0 and that they don't like the other branches at all. At times they're not joking. I wish we could have some kind of activity that would dissolve that kind of feeling between everyone. I think I have felt it somewhat in the states, in my own ward against another ward. What makes us think we're all better than everyone else? We have a little of the "Nephite disease". We shouldn't feel we're better than everyone else, but rather we should feel we should become better and help others along the way.
How can I thank the Lord for all that he's taught me here? I'm trying to extend myself to try to get more hours in and quit being so lazy and half hearted about the truth. I should be all or nothing. But I'm on a mission so I should be all. I was quite surprised at Elder Baird's size when I saw him, but I quickly learned to love him. He is so great! And he really is getting into Trukese. He is sure a big help. I had to teach the seminary Saturday because Emy, the seminary teacher, went fishing. But I think I did a pretty good job! It was fun and I could ramble on about Jonah and his mission call. The two scheduled for baptisms (Dasiada Wanter & Towais Stanis) , I haven't talked to them about a date and I need to have a more thorough discussion about it. I'm pretty sure they'll be baptized soon.Have you decided who will be District Leader here? I'm doing the reports since I'm on Moen, but I haven't been designated as such or anything. If you remember can you please send out a bunch more of these forms? Thanks! Love, Steve

2/26/1984 - 3/3/1984
Dear President,
Lifes Great! Well, we did a major change in the schedule and put it in effect. We slept from 9 to 5 and follow the regular schedule, but its just shifting the starting times and ending times. We're teaching Martino's wife. He is a member we baptized about 3 months ago. A lot of Romonum people got baptized, and two of the people I baptized are part of a family Mote is baptizing next week! Lately, things have been picking up. Especially with my new companion Elder Baird, he's really "kicking" me to get me going. Literally. He has to kick me out of bed at 5am, because I never hear the alarm. The Lord is helping me more, on the account of my speeding up. I actually see how He is! I talk to someone and don't know quite what to say, and He helps me, or prompts them to ask questions, so I can answer, and start rattling on and on. Speaking of rattling, doing the 5th discussion was easy. Well, not really easy. Can't wait to hear from you again. Love, Elder Monson


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Belief is the reason we go on a mission. It is the motive for preaching about Christ and sharing/Proclaiming his love. Faith is understanding we are children of God and our Heavenly Father. May the definition of faith bless you in life Faith is defined again and because faith has an inherent joy it gives us a solid foundation that we finally have the peace we have been searching for.

"Many believer's feed themselves on what God hasn't done. When I dwell on what hasn't happened, I create the atmosphere for the spirit of offense to arise and to thrive. When I dwell on what hasn't happened, I legitimize unbelief. I live with a sense of justification, for not believing God.

Faith in the purest sense is the ceasing of resistance. even when there's no physical evidence, when the other evidence is present. Not feeding ourselves on what God hasn't done Faith in it's purest form is the absence of resistance

Heaven is a place where everyone is celebrated, some are more honored but everyone is celebrated. All men and all women shall be judged on the light which they have received. Heaven is a permissible culture. God's nature is eternally permissible. These statements protect us from credit.

Faith in the purest sense is the ceasing of resistance, even when there's no physical evidence, when the other evidence is present. Not feeding ourselves on what God hasn't done. Faith in it's purest form is the absence of resistance. Faith doesn't deny a problems existence, it denies it's influence. He or she was someone whom aridity and desolation never disturbed for he or she had a deeply rooted, and a vigorous faith.

Now we can act as we have always dreamed. Now we can act as we have always been. Now we can step into the light and gather the sunlight instead of blocking out our possibilities. Instead of blocking out our joy. Variety will bloom in/under the sun. We can show off our best, we can enjoy other people's gifts. We can blossom where we stand upon the joy that faith provides us. Upon the joy that faith inherently has, which blossoms the entire field of flowers"

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYaxabUfkA - The Definition of Faith