Sunday, October 29, 2017

Micronesia/Guam - Reports to the Mission President August 1983

7/31/83 - 8/6/83
Dear President,
Its hard to believe, but I caught a cold this week. How does one catch a cold in a tropic zone? I left my fan turned on me all night and that does it. I have a small cough now. It's going away slowly. I did double my study time, which is a good thing for me to keep up. I'm sure you read me letter in the MGM and I'm trying harder now. We're not having too good of success finding more investigators. I never thought reading books like "Jesus the Christ" and "A Marvellous Work and a Wonder" would increase my faith and testimony. I was sure wrong. They open so much to my eyes and understanding it's great! It actually shows how many churches are wrong and confounds every other false doctrine they have. I'm thankful for these books and their testimonies. I'm thankful for your letter in the MGM. I'm glad the church is true. Love, Elder Monson

8/7/83 - 8/13/83
Dear President,
I am late getting this report to Elder Mundinger (the "DL"), and part of the reason is that I got sick. I don't know why I got so sick so fast, but I did. That was the past 2 days, and I'm almost completely over it now. It was so bad for a while I almost thought it was cholera. I went to the hospital and they checked it out. Everyone else around seems to be getting sick too; Elder Huff, Elder Mundinger, and a few members in Sapuk. Today I'll be going out and working. Take care and thanks. Love, Elder Monson

8/14/83 - 8/20/83
Dear President,
Your coming to Truk was perfect timing. Just the day before, both Mundinger and I were sick and had to stay at home. We were just over our colds the day you came. I wish all of us were free from colds. Elder Huff has been getting sick often it sounds like. I surely do appreciate you coming over to see us. It was a real thrill to see you both and feel of your great spirit. We're working on the discussions full blast now, working on it in-between appointments, etc. I'm certainly sharpening up my typing skills. Thanks! Love, Steve

8/28/83 - 9/3/83
Dear President,
It's been fun adjusting to being a senior companion. It's good though. It teaches me to be more self starting. I'm glad for the opportunity. I think Elder Wilson has sent in the first part of the discussions, and we are still working on the rest now. One of translators, Happiness Ichin, changed his work shift to the evening so he can help us at any time of the day. It's really good. Today before Mundinger and Christensen go back to Uman, we're going to have a Trukese class with him. I guess we'll be getting the seminary guys in two days. We have the material for the classes, but they need to distribute it. Just curious, but when (and if) will we get bikes? Being with Elder Mote is a giant advantage because the people love to see him (since his skin is darker). He's going to get us into a lot of houses too. Thanks. Love, Steve

No comments: